I enjoy having the birds to watch. Especially in the mornings when I'm fixing breakfast and packing lunches. :) But suet can be expensive and the birds go through it FAST. (reference above where I mentioned when you start feeding them they start bringing friends!)
I have a frugal way to feed the birds that also helps me minimize food waste! If we have bread that has gone stale (loaf bread, buns, bagels, etc) I spread a thin amount of peanut butter on them and sprinkle birdseed on them. I look at the dollar stores for a 3-5 lb bag of basic birdseed. (Nothing fancy, no corn, sunflower seeds or peanuts) You can usually get a bag like this for $2 or so and it will last a looooong time. I put my bread/peanut butter/birdseed
This is great to let the kids do too! And if you don't have the wire suet feeders there are other ways to do this. One is the pinecone feeder. String some yarn or ribbon around a pinecone, spread peanut butter on it and coat with seeds (or crushed cereal). Hang up outside and enjoy watching the birds!
If you have stale bagels, you don't need the suet feeders either. You can string some yarn through the hole. To make them go even further slice them in half from the top (making them thinner but still leave the hole intact. Spread peanut butter and top with birdseed.Some birds (like orioles) also enjoy oranges. Slice in half and set outside on a porch railing, stump or flat rock.
No comments:
Post a Comment